As you do social media, you quickly realize that you never (never ever ever ever) have enough content (amirite, social media managers?) You incessantly take photos on your phone, you beg for content from your coworkers, you reword the marketing message, you come up with clever puns & memes related to your brand. Sure, it may be enough for the next month or two, but depending on posting frequency, you will run out at some point. The content machine must always churn.
Here are some ideas to extend the life of your existing content or ways to get more out of each shoot:
- When shooting a subject, shoot from multiple angles - up, down, right, left, macro, wide angle, with people, without people, with a prop, without a prop...basically every way you can think of. You'll use all of those images in some way. In the Stag's Leap Wine Cellars shoot (above), we created a robust cheese & charcuterie board and shot all different angles, close ups of the pieces and parts, and added in the human element for a set of dynamic photographs they can use in email campaigns, social media and other marketing materials. We provided a gallery of about 75 images that give the team a range of images to choose from.
- Crop images from your existing asset library in new ways - zoom into one section of the image, angle the image differently, make it square or very tall & skinny/short & wide.
- Re-edit existing videos. Ask your videographer to create new cuts of the video they produced for you. Create long-form & short form versions. Use outtakes or b-roll.
- Take your product with you wherever you go. You can pop that product into your weekend getaway to Tahoe, the side of the road with an amazing sunset, on your dinner table, on a picnic in the park - the options are endless!
- Use social media apps that make sense for your brand, from Boomerangs and Hyperlapse videos to Slo-Mo and Cinemagraphs. Test out apps like PicLab and Over for adding quick copy to an image. Use the Stop Motion app to make a fun stop motion video.
- Edit the images you already have using Instagram functionality. Don't want your edited photo to go onto Instagram but you want to use the editing functionality? Trick: put your phone on Airplane mode, open Instagram, edit the photo, click Share. It will fail, click the X and remove the image, turn your phone back to wifi/data enabled.
- Collect images & videos from your extended team. If you're a medium-sized business, you have a bunch of people at your company who can send in photos from their arm of the business. Even if the images aren't perfect, there are plenty of apps out there to help them along: Instagram, VSCO, Camera+...
- Create quick social media graphics using your phone (PicLab, Over, Font Candy, Spark, InstaQuote) or desktop (Canva, Pixlr) using images you already have.
- Hire a content production company to help fill your content calendar. Our team at Untapped Media can produce professional level imagery and copywriting to supplement what you're already producing! Just give us a shot list to run with.
Questions? Reach out to us! We offer training and other content marketing solutions for all businesses.